Friday, May 14, 2010

FAREWELL FRIEND


Friday (May 14) was a tough day. My friend passed away during the early morning.

We had know each other ten years. We were neighbors both on Marco Island, and then here in "The Walk."

Over the years we taught each other many different things, and had more than one laugh. He wasn't into boating, but I got him aboard twice. It was that second little outing down to Cape Romano that always brought back a smile from both of us.

We had a great day at Romano. There was plenty of food, friends, and great weather. Then it was time to go home. We were the last boat out, and quickly got nowhere. The boat thumped and vibrated, but just would not move.

We coaxed it out, away from the shallow water, and hailed our friend in his boat. Close examination of the out drive revealed a broken prop. We demonstrated to each other the choice words that we knew how to use in this type of situation. He then he taught me how to say them in Italian.

The Heroes that we were dictated: Send the woman home in the other boat, and we will stay together and wait for my other best friend - Sea Tow. We had a long wait and chatted about everything one could imagine. After an hour or so I taught him some nautical words that he was eager to learn: "Use the Starboard Side, and not into the wind."

Sea Tow arrived at the scene, hooked us sailors up. Two hours later we were at my dock. The tow was over $700. I was so glad I had insurance that my smile lit the sky up. My buddy was a tad pale. The story of that day has been repeated over and over. I still can hear his laugh. The memory continues.

The Man played golf. He couldn't interest me one bit in this obsession. He said I could be his caddy and drive the golf cart. Still no interest did I have.

Over the last few months He finally got to me regarding the game. We'd go out and visit local consignment stores. He always came home with some sort of iron. I helped sneak it in to his house or hold in my car until it was safe. That was my first, and only, "Par." Now that is just another memory.

We played "Rummikub" over the last couple of years and in between moves I learned his magnificent skill at minding time. I thought he could have "tested" watches for some fine Swiss Watch Maker, because the man knew his "seconds."

It was usually near the end of the game, and certainly his turn, when he would fill the air with these words: "Just a Second Now," "I am going to be done in one move," "Hang on, I can see what I am going to do," "One second, OK," and "Don't rush me, I am almost done."

We all kidded about how long those "seconds" were. But you can't mess with time. It runs its' own course and calls its' own game. For my friend the game and time are over.

I miss him.

2 comments:

Cindy B said...

So sad to hear this. :o(

Denise B said...

Sounds like he was a wonderful friend. Sorry to hear this. I'm sure he will be missed.