Sunday, June 15, 2008

FATHERS DAY













Today was Fathers Day here in VeronaWalk. There were celebrations all over the community. There was one at Town Center, and one in my neighborhood. V.W. Resident has observed a lot of these "days of honor" over the course of his life.

As a boy this "special day" was just another reason to go visit the grandparents or take a trip to the park. There are many wonderful memories of "back then."

"Now" the importance of the day is to get out and make new memories. One such memory was made with my young friend Zachary. The Kid belongs to that neighbor lady across the street. She is always bringing him over to "play" with me. If nobody is looking we both get our skate boards out to see who is the better jumper. Take a look at this "kid." He is ready to go! Me, I'm still looking for "my" skate board.

I know I am not as good as this kid. I swear he can jump over my neighbors' house. Well that's not quite true, but the young man does love doing jumps on that skate board. I am often reminding him that the speed limit is 25 MPH.

I sure enjoy it when my lady friend brings the lad over to see me. Looking at him makes me recall when I was a boy. We had no skateboards or computers back then. We had to find other ways to have fun. Playing ball at the local parks was my favorite activity.

Well I enjoyed the day with my friend Zachary. I never found "my" skate board. When we sat down to rest I told him about my Dad. He was a Police Officer, and worked the "job" for 37 years.

My Dad is no longer here for Fathers Day. What is sad, is not that he can't share the Day with his two sons; but that he has missed the opportunity to just say "hello" to his grandchildren, and quite a handful of great grandchildren. I know he would be quite proud to see them all enjoying "His Day. "








1 comment:

Cindy B said...

Happy Father's Day!